The National Railroad Passenger Corporation
60 Massachusetts Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002
18 October 2010
60 Massachusetts Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002
18 October 2010
Dear Amtrak PR Person:
I really love riding on your trains. They are quick, convenient, comfortable, and the people are nice (except the ticket-collection lady today, but I'll forgive you because she was stressed by doing the job of probably several people for efficiency). Had I chosen to fly instead, the many different airlines would have discounted my ticket for buying fifteen minutes before as a standby passenger. You stood your ground and even charged me a little extra for the convenience you provide. I appreciate your tiered pricing structure because it allowed me to choose just how much to spend: I had the option of giving more money for business class or even taking the Acela, which has free wireless internet and would have taken half an hour less time to arrive. The entire experience was at the standards I would expect with Amtrak.
Your cafĂ© is really something. The “fresh turkey and cheese sandwich” I purchased for $4.50 had exactly the right amount of potassium benzoate for keeping the meat good for my dainty appetite. I could have eaten it in a few weeks from now and it probably wouldn’t have tasted any different than it did. Heck, at that price I should have bought a couple extra to keep in my desk to eat at work next month. Your sandwich provided me with the distinct opportunity to make a pit stop before returning to my seat. It was especially thoughtful of you to install a handle bar because you don’t realize how difficult it is to stay positioned on the train when you eat one of your sandwiches, until you eat one of your sandwiches. I guess what I mean to say is that the food on your train is almost as excellent as your lavatory.
My main reason for writing is to ask why its costs $106.00 to travel from DC to Newark. I paid $17.00 last time I rode the NJ transit train from Newark to Philadelphia, which I believe was a little more than half the distance of my recent trip with you. I also took the bus in the reverse direction the previous week for $20.00. The man who sold me your ticket defended the price as it was based on the time of my purchase before I could even say anything or thank him. But is that the sole reason? Some previous customers must have been curious like me, judging from what he said, so I apologize if you get this request for further explanation frequently. I know you wouldn’t be able to compare because you have never flown (why would you?), but your train ride takes longer than a flight. Maybe people feel better about spending money with you than the airlines because the cost per time spent riding is lower since you take longer.
I wish to congratulate you on being practically the only operator in the market. Since there are no other services, I conclude it must be hard for train companies to stay in business. I would also like to express my gratitude for making it easy to choose a train service. The signs didn’t even say “Trains,” but, “Amtrak, this way,” because everyone recognizes you, and who would want to ride on another type of train anyway? Not me. I would probably have to sit next to poor people. You have been the only train service from DC to Newark for so long that the lady at the main train station information booth didn’t even understand my question about an alternative. Incidentally, it seemed redundant that there were both separate Amtrak and main train travel information booths since there are no other train service companies who depart from the station in DC.
Sorry to inquire about your personal finances, but might I ask what you do with all those US federal government subsidies I read about in the paper but never hear you mention? I am merely curious out of admiration for the humble existence of your organization.
Again, congratulations at being the biggest and the best as the only.
Awaiting your response,
Your dedicated passenger
PS, would you also please send me some information about becoming a stakeholder in your company to help pay off my credit card on which my ticket was charged? Again, thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment